Call Today! 1800 637 600
For Immediate Service


Who is responsible for these drains?

Problems with drains, including blockages, occur no matter what type of building you live in.

Most single or multiple level houses have their own drainage systems taking the discharge from all the plumbing fixtures within the property. The owner of the  property is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their pipes up to the point where his pipes join the council main.

Rows of terrace houses in inner city suburbs and semi-detached homes often drain into a “common sewer line”. These terrace rows can have up to 20 homes or more, draining into one common line. Depending on the fall of the land, this common sewer line may pass across the front or rear of the row and then  spill into a Boundary trap, before discharging into the Water authority’s main sewer line.

Generally, the common sewer line should be maintained by the owners of the properties connected to the sewer line, and costs associated with works or repairs on this  common sewer line should be borne by all parties on that common sewer line.

If blockages, repairs or pipe renewals are confined to the pipes and drains that take the discharge from any one particular house on the common sewer line, then those costs should be borne by that individual.

Any property owners connected to a common sewer line should be aware that should a blockage occur in the common line, downstream of where he/she connects to the line, the sewer may surcharge or overflow in his/her yard or garden if it is the lowest open drain in the line.

This can be quite unpleasant if someone else’s sewer is coming up in your yard or even worse, your home!

When blockages occur, we recommend that all owners connected to a common sewer line communicate and co-operate with all other parties on this line .

Strata home unit blocks and Townhouses will have their own drainage lines that generally drain to a Boundary trap and then on to the Water Authority or Council sewer mains.

The responsibility for the maintenance and repairs of these drains is generally directed by a Strata Title Manager  and sometimes a Real Estate Property Manager.

Commercial properties, Industrial Estates and Schools generally all have their own  drainage lines that generally drain to a Boundary trap and then on to the Water Authority or Council sewer mains.

Another Satisfied Vaporooter Customer

After several trials with various chemical products, Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water (GWMW) chose Vaporooter as its aid in combating drain pipe blockages and overflows and has successfully used it since 1989.

Vaporooter, a product of the RSP Environmental Services, is a mixture of herbicides, root growth inhibitor and foaming agent which softens and then destroys the live roots which intrude into the drain pipes and causes a blockage. The product also prevents other roots from growing by slowing down their development for almost three years.

GWMW has initially used the Vaporooter in its problematic areas, where drain blockages were frequent due to shallow sewers and close vicinity of the trees and sewage systems. After solving its immediate problems, GWMW has moved on to preventing blockages and maintaining the high-quality functionality of the draining system.

A great advantage of the Vaporooter is that its efficacy causes no negative side effects on the environment. The foaming process only affects the tree roots that intrude into the pipe and those very close to the pipe. But the rest of the trees and plants in the vicinity are not touched by this non-acidic biodegradable treatment.

RSP Environmental Services do not only provide the product and the technology, but they also assist their clients throughout the different stages of the foaming process. RSP offers its assistance to identify and solve the problems whenever they occur, although this implies higher costs and efforts for them. Just as Vaporooter involves an ongoing long-term process, the RSP honours its provider and aide roles to the client.